Sunday, February 07, 2010

And we're done

Funny how ten days away can change your perspective. My feelings going over to perform for the troops was excitement but in the back of my head I knew what the risks were. The tour started us off easy, 5 star hotel, big base, lots of troops excited to hear some comedy. We went to bed exhilarated. Next day was the first day of travel in the Blackhawks. I felt like a little girl, weeeeeee.
When we landed in Tarmiya we all knew this was a DIFFERENT type of base. All men, well boys really. We spoke at length about war and the bad guys. Stuff I couldn't comprehend but understand now. As they were getting ready to go on a mission they sat and posed with us for pictures and joked around. They were leaving to go into certain danger. 3 of their colleagues had been injured a week before from a bomb and yet each was going with no trepidation. We all know war sucks but these young men were there tp do their job and they do it with such bravery. This tour has been one of the best experiences of my life.

No comments: