Thursday, February 04, 2010

Day 2

NOW it gets interesting. We leave to board our first blackhawk which was also 3 hours late. Gives new meaning to 3 hour tour. Our first stop was a foward operating base which means they are the ones that go out and do the sweeps for the enemy. No women in the crowd, they were smoking cigars I felt like I was in the remake of the Dirty Dozen. They couldn't have been nicer. They were going out on a mission right after our show so we got to see them get ready for battle. They even had a bomb sniffing dog. Which Leighann and I fawned over (we asked if we could) The dog was my highlight. These guys are leaving and facing emminent danger and yet they had time to pose for pictures with us and joke with us. Then off to the next camp. Larger base, 400 troops. Again great crowd. I have never felt so proud to be an American. We had to rush the last meet and greet to get to the Blackhawk to get back to Baghdad. I am wiped and yet wide awake. And grateful. Oh so grateful

No comments: